Friday, January 21, 2011

Be our guest (16/25)



This is Martha Ess's tiny square teapot tatted in Lizbeth size 20 Wedgewood Dk. The top is a bit floppy, so I'm not sure what to do with it yet. I had thought about a bookmark like the one Threads of a Tatting Goddess did, but with the floppiness I'm thinking about either stiffening or gluing it to something for the kitten maybe with a cute tea cup added.

And last but not least, here are my shuttle tatting accomplishments. There is still much to accomplish, but at least this way I have proof of what I've done to look back at. My rings don't seem to close all of the way yet, but I'm definitely making improvements. Maybe back to some youtube videos again.

6 comments:

  1. Looks good! Some threads are softer than others and don't hold the shape as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your teapot is cute!
    Looks like you are doing pretty good on learning your shuttle tatting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Your shuttle-tatted sample looks great! Excellent progress! It's brave of you to use black thread, but I'm glad to see you're using the two different colors of thread so you can see how the knots are 'flipped' (on both the ring and chain) with the thread coming from the left hand.

    You are now ready to tat with a single color of thread (after winding the shuttle and NOT cutting from the ball).

    Try a clover-leaf pattern for ring and chain practice, and for joining rings together. You'll see with practice how your rings get easier to close - although they look OK to me in the photo.

    Since you already know how to read patterns, you're well on your way!! You'll soon have both methods of tatting under your belt!

    The teapot is very pretty and well done. Martha's teapot patterns are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't too brave, it was handy and the right size!! It is nice knowing how everything is supposed to work...and now I know how you shuttle tatters do certain things and why it looks different. Now if only I could get my fingers to work right...time for some practice.

    Thanks all for your encouragement. It is nice to have your own cheering sections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your teapot looks lovely, some threads are softer than others, and sometimes you have to stiffen it but the tighter you tat the tighter it will be without stiffening. You will get better with practice. keep going you are getting there.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shuttle-tatting looks great!

    I found that pulling the thread waaay over to the left when closing while really pinching with the fingerNAILS of the other hand helped a lot - if that makes sense!
    Keep up the good work!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete