Wednesday, February 23, 2011

shuttle tatting update part 1

I promised a shuttle tatting update, so here it is. I've figured out the flip and have yet to break or throw a shuttle. A good start I thought :)

I still haven't gotten tension and the rings as close as I would like. Hopefully practice will help to fix that. Here is one of my first motifs. I still need to figure out how to add threads. I have some websites on my list to help with starting and adding threads.



After my grand success at this ring and chain motif, I decided to do something bigger! It didn't turn out so great. I tried Stumpy thinking that it would be easy. Boy was I wrong. I'm having a problem with the big rings--how do you make the loop big enough for all of the stitches? I ended up having to pull some extra thread out of to make the loop bigger, but still ended up with just enough room to squeeze my shuttle through at the end. This made for really tight rings. I decided to start again and see what happened. This is my Stumpy with really tight rings.


I have a solution to the big ring problem, but if you have a suggestion please let me know. I wrap the thread several times around my ring and little figure to give me some extra room to make the ring. So here is my new Stumpy and my shuttle. The shuttle was part of a giveaway from Gina . Thanks Gina!! Now with all of the practicing I need to add some thread to my shuttle. Time to read the tutorials.

3 comments:

  1. You're Welcome! Glad you are using it!

    For big rings, I just enlarge the loop around my hand as I need it. You should be able to pull the core thread from the point under the pinch and it will enlarge. Just do a little bit at a time. If the loop is too big, pull with the shuttle to make it smaller. Once you've made a few stitches, play with making the loop bigger and smaller. I used to have trouble remembering which thread to pull so don't worry about pulling the wrong one. It takes practice to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shuttle tatting is looking good for a beginner(coming from a one year shuttle tatter). I haven't tried the stumpy yet, but I did do a doily that wasn't too hard for beginners it's the Amusement doily here: http://web.archive.org/web/20070204093934/http://www.celtess.net/Tatting/Amusement.html
    It's all rings and chains and 4 rounds.
    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the idea, Gina.
    Thanks for the pattern, God's Kid.

    Now to figure out how to add thread!!

    ReplyDelete